My Medium Stories
A quick guide to my writing (so far) on the Medium platform
All of my stories share a similar approach — I strive to make them original, substantive, and entertaining. But they fall mainly into four main topic categories: Philosophy, Books, Writing, and Self.
I hope you will enjoy reading one or several!
The Schopenhauer stories . . .
- A Schopenhauer Cheat Sheet (Handy conceptual shortcuts + a few comic touches) in Noteworthy — The Journal Blog. Distributed: Philosophy.
4 minute read
- Schopenhauer’s Cat (Philosophy and physics + a feline spin) in A Philosopher’s Stone. Distributed: Philosophy, Humor. 9 minute read
- A Schopenhauer Notebook: Page 1 (Trolling Hegel) in A Philosopher’s Stone. 4 minute read
- A Schopenhauer Notebook: Page 2 (In praise of misfits) in A Philosopher’s Stone. 6 minute read
Stories at the border of philosophy and humor
- The Feline Geometer (Some notes toward a more advanced understanding of cat math) in The Junction. Distributed: Pets. 5 minute read
- The Feline Geometer at Night: Bed + Space+Time (Where cat math meets particle physics . . .) in The Junction. 5 minute read
- The Curious History of a Sartre Satire in A Philosopher’s Stone. Distributed: Philosophy, Humor. 5 minute read
- Tiger Tales: An Experiment in Interpretation in A Philosopher’s Stone. Distributed: Philosophy. 7 min read
Stories about Joan Didion and Play It as It Lays . . .
- Play It as It Lays: The Novel (Joan Didion’s indelible, perhaps accidental masterpiece) Distributed: Books. 5 minute read
- Play It as It Lays: The Movie (Didion co-wrote the screenplay for this faithful but almost-forgotten adaptation of her novel) Distributed: Film. 5 minute read
- Joan Didion: A Writer’s Space (Joan Didion’s brief, indelible, and partly accidental masterpiece) 9 minute read
- “What Nothing Means” (Some notes on despair, desire, and determination in Joan Didion’s Play It as It Lays). 7 minute read
- Joan Didion’s “White Space” Novel (Play It as It Lays, and the freedoms of interpretation). Distributed: Books. 6 minute read
- Play It as It Lays, at 50 (Two early reviews refract the strange light of Didion’s second novel). Distributed: Books. 9 minute read
Stories at the border of literature and philosophy
- Postmodern Plato: A Murder Mystery in Literally Literary. Distributed: Books. 5 minute read
- Poetry, Prose, Math — and Jacques Roubaud (One of the most fascinating writers in France is a mathematician) in Literally Literary. Distributed: Books, Math. 8 minute read
- Michel Houellebecq on Desire and the Collapse of Western Civilization (This famous French novelist is a student of Schopenhauer — and a controversial prophet of pessimism) in Literally Literary. Distributed: Books. 8 minute read
Reading for Writers
The Story of Suite Francaise . . . (And a soul-searching question for every writer ) in Literally Literary. 6 minute read
Three Writers to Revisit (or Discover) for Black History Month in Literally Literary. Distributed: Writing, History. 6 minute read
Perfect Books (Brilliant or barely even good — they’re the ones you fell in love with and never get over) in From the Library. Distributed: Books. 6 minute read
A Little Guide to Mindful Ironing (With a touch of Zen + a generous dollop of Feng Shui) in Change Your Mind, Change Your Life. 6 minute read
A Little More about Mindful Ironing (Some practical advice, some fellow travelers, and a few resources) in Change Your Mind, Change Your Life.
4 minute read
The Judge’s Cat (One of America’s most noted jurists is also a famous cat lover) in Catness. Distributed: Pets, Politics. 4 minute read
The Poet’s Cat (An inexhaustible topic, as it turns out, and full of surprises) in Catness. Distributed: Pets. 4 minute read
The Pessimist’s Guide to Being Happy in Noteworthy — The Journal Blog.
6 minute read
Try This “Motivational Math” Strategy (Primes and Fibonacci’s could shift your sense of time and make almost every effort a little more productive) in The Ascent. Distributed: Math, Productivity. 5 minute read
Tools and Resources
- 3 Ways Writers Can Find the Best Words (To polish your prose, go beyond the thesaurus) in The Book Mechanic. Distributed: Language, Writing.
8 minute read
- 3 Creativity Tools Most Writers Don’t Take Advantage Of (You probably have one of them already, another is free — and the third is worth every single penny) in The Book Mechanic. Distributed: Creativity, Writing. 7 minute read
- 3 Free Research Resources Most Writers Don’t Know About (You may wonder how you lived without them. . .) in The Book Mechanic. 6 minute read
Writers Should Walk. A Lot. (And here’s why. . .). Distributed: Writing, Lifestyle. 4 minute read